• “A dead thing can go with the stream, but only a living thing can go against it.” – G.K. Chesterton, The Everlasting Man, 1925

Monday, January 12, 2015

Monday Muse 2/52

Son

too much
I remember the touch
of your tiny hand
holding my breast
a bottle you gripped
and the pull of milk
the heavy ponderous
weight when you would cry
and I can still feel the ache
of need and want

I used to lean over your crib
to watch you breathe
a different sort of ache
until I handed you
over to God because
He is a better mother than I.

Now we look eye
to eye and you
need a different sort
of sustenance from me






Today is my oldest child's 14th birthday. I do not know where the years have gone. Happy Birthday, my dear Doodle. I am so proud of you and so glad to be your mother.

No comments:

Post a Comment