• “A dead thing can go with the stream, but only a living thing can go against it.” – G.K. Chesterton, The Everlasting Man, 1925

Monday, January 5, 2015

Monday Muse 1/52


Street Preacher

I was born in the Great Surplus
Of 2119
Abandoned to my own devices
I wandered aimlessly
Through city streets
For one whole
Year I stood and watched
The people walking by
Scurrying to and fro
And I saw that I
Lacked purpose

I followed a man
With a purposeful stride
To his place of business
And heard him yell
Buy! Sell!

But it was not
What I was looking for.

I followed a child to
a multicolored playground
But I could not join
in their fun

I walked to the countryside
And heard a lovely noise
In a little
White building.
I went in
Was greeted
With joyous exclamation

They lay their
Anointed hands on me
Leaving streaks
Of golden colored salvation
And took me to the corner
Of 8th and Elm

The exquisite pain
As they bolted me in place
Was superseded by the
Bliss reverberating
Through me

Repent! For the Kingdom of God is at hand!

Countless days, nights
I am beaten, battered
And I count it joy
How many years?
I lost track
Until one Monday morn

When the dawn approached
A trumpet sounds
And the redeemed rise to
Meet the man in the sky
I try to rise, too

But the bolts
Won’t let me
And I see the lost
Running through the streets
Looking to be found
And they stand before me
As I tell them once again

Repent! For the Kingdom of God is at Hand!



*i wrote this around 2008 as a response to something I had read on a Christian speculative fiction website

**welcome to monday muse, wherein I share something I've written

No comments:

Post a Comment